When do exams take place?
Each TUM semester is divided in lecture period and lecture-free period. Exams of the Department of Informatics normally start around the end of the lecture period until the third week of the lecture-free period (incl. Saturdays!) at the latest. Retake exams (taken by students who fail the first time) are usually held at the beginning of the next semester, either in the last three weeks of the lecture-free period or in the first week of lectures. From the TUM semester dates (here), prospective exam periods of TUM Informatics can be derived.
Due to the large number of exams and rooms required, the general timeframes given above are subject to change. Please check the exact dates of the examinations for your individual courses. The examination dates are issued during the first few weeks of the course.
Please take a look at the information below to learn more about exam registration, deadlines, and withdrawal guidelines. Note: If you do not register via TUMonline, the credits will not count towards to your ECTS account.
Registration for Exams
- Registration for examination must be done via TUMonline.
- Note: You have to register for all exams, practical courses and seminars included. The only exeptions are practical courses and seminars with the following module numbers: IN0012, IN0013, IN0014, IN2106, IN2107, only for these you will be automatically registered.
- Registration for a course does NOT mean you are automatically registered for the respective examination.
- Separate, advance registration must be made via TUMonline EVERY time you take an examination (including retake exams). The only exception are mid-term exams. If you registered for a mid-term exam, then you will be automatically registered for the final exam.
- Taking an examination does not replace registration. If you do not register for an exam in TUMonline, the credits will not count towards to your degree program.
- Please pay attention to further information given by your lecturers and teaching staff. Additional on-site registration may be necessary for some examinations.
- Don't forget to check if your registration has been succesfull befor the end of the registration period. How you can find out to which examinations you are registrated please look at bulletpoint "How can I see the exams I am registered for?"
Current Dates and deadlines for registration and examinations
Dates of the Department of Informatics for examination registration in winter term 2018/19
Courses with midterm or early examination: Special registration dates!
- Midterm exam „Tracking and Detection in Computer Vision (IN2210)“ on 29.11.18 - registration from 05.11.18 till 22.11.18
- Midterm exam „Computer Aided Medical Procedures (IN2021)“ on 20.12.18 - registration from 19.11.18 till 13.12.18
- Endterm exam „Tracking and Detection in Computer Vision (IN2210)“ on 01.03.19 - registration from 30.11.18 till 15.01.19
- Endterm exam „Computer Aided Medical Procedures (IN2021)“ on 14.02.19 - registration from 21.12.18 till 15.01.19
Students who choose to participate in the midterm exam do not have to register again for the respective endterm exam.
Examinations at the end of winter term 2018/19:
- Written examinations take place between 04.02.19 - 02.03.19
- The registration for these examinations is possible between 19.11.18 – 15.01.19 (strict deadline!)
- Dates for oral examinations are fixed by the respective lecturer.
Examinations at the start of summer term 2019 (resits):
- Period of exams for resits: 08.04.19 - 27.04.19
- The registration for these examinations is possible between 18.03.19 - 01.04.19.
Keep these deadlines in mind and register in time. If you encounter difficulties during registration,
contact the Infopoint Informatics immediately within the registration period.
After the deadline, no registration will be possible anymore! If you participate without registration, neither the ECTS credits nor the grade will be added to your account and you will have to repeat the exam.
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering:
TUM School of Management:
Department of Mathematics:
Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology:
Prospective exam periods of future semesters
Winter Semester 2018/19: 1st October 2018 – 31st March 2019
Lecture period: 15th October 2018 – 9th February 2019
Examinations at TUM Informatics: 4th February – 2nd March 2019 (may differ in other departments)
Resits at TUM Informatics: begining til the end of April 2019
Summer semester 2019: 1st April 2019 – 30th September 2019
Lecture period: 23rd April – 27th July 2019
Examinations at TUM Informatics: 22nd July – 17th August 2019 (may differ in other departments)
Resits at TUM Informatics: Late September to mid October 2019
Note: Due to the large number of exams and rooms required, the general timeframes given above are subject to change, there might be exceptions. Please check the exact dates of the examinations for your individual courses. The examination dates are issued during the first few weeks of the course.
How to register for examinations in TUMonline
1. Log in to the TUMonline portal
- You need a myTUM account to log in to the TUMonline portal. If you have forgotten your password or the answer to your security question, please contact TUM IT support.
- Log in with your myTUM ID (firstname.lastname@example.org) and myTUM password
- If your myTUM ID is rejected, please try your LRZ ID and your myTUM password. Your LRZ ID can be viewed at: portal.mytum.de > Login > Meine Einstellungen > Accountinformationen
- If log in fails with your LRZ ID, please try to reset your myTUM password within the myTUM portal.
- If you are still not able to log in, please contact TUM IT support.
2. Register for an examination in TUMonline
See this page for information about logging in and registering for examinations.
The registration system automatically marks all registrations as "provisional". You can ignore this, as there are no admission requirements for examinations in the Department of Informatics.
If your examinations do not appear in your curriculum tree, please use the "Prüfungs An-/Abmeldung" for registration (see information sheet). Please search for the module ID of the related course using the search field next to "Prüfung". If the examination cannot be found, please contact the Infopoint Informatik.
The examination registration for resits in TUMonline doesn´t work! What can I do? Step by step instruction as PDF
- Check if the exam you intend to repeat has already been graded, if not, be patient and try again after a few days. Only if the grades have been submitted and you have not passed, you can register for the repetition!
- If the exam has been graded and you failed, but you still can not register, refer to http://www.it.tum.de/en/tumonline/ or the TUMonline brochure.
- If you are still facing difficulties, contact the Infopoint Informatics before end of registration period.
How can I see the exams I am registered for?
There are different options to check if you are actually registered for an exam:
1) click "Exam Registration" in your personal business card (find some information about your personal business card here)
2) click "Student Files" in your personal business card, Tab "all exams"
3) click "Study Status / Curriculum" in your personal business card, choose the exam (green flag) and look for the check mark over the green "P" button
Attention: If you are registered for an exam not by yourself but by the staff of the TUM (e.g. registration for the IDP), the exam is not visible in the "Exam Registration" (option 1) - choose option 2 or 3
Withdrawal from Examinations
You have until the end of the registration period to withdraw your registration for an examination via TUMonline. This does not apply if you are obliged to retake an exam. Registration for written exams can be cancelled up to 7 days before the exam.
Be aware that a 5,0 will be shown in your Print Grade Report if you do not cancel in time.
If the examination regulations for your program allow for other withdrawals (e.g. early withdrawal), you can do this at the Infopoint Informatics.
If you have any problems registering for an examination, please contact the Infopoint Informatics immediately.
Withdrawals for Medical Reasons
The following degree programs do not restrict the number of times an examination can be repeated:
- Bachelor's in Informatics
- Bachelor's in Information Systems
- all master's degree programs lasting 4 semesters
Therefore, you need to provide medical evidence of your inability to sit an examination only in exceptional cases, e.g. if you envisage problems obtaining sufficient credit points during your program.
If you cannot sit an examination due to illness, you need to provide a medical certificate as soon as possible to prove you were unable to take the exam. You should keep this medical certificate safe until the end of your program as you may need to present it to the examination board.
If you are uncertain whether a medical certificate meets the regulations, please check with the appropriate administrative contact during their consultation hours.
See also the requirements for the medical certificate on the university page about withdrawing from examinations and the list of approved medical examiners.
Grading and Post-Examination Review
1.0, 1.3: "very good" = excellent performance
1.7, 2.0, 2.3: "good" = performance well above average
2.7, 3.0, 3.3: "satisfactory" = average performance
3.7, 4.0: "sufficient" = performance meets the standards in spite of deficiencies
4.3, 4.7, 5.0: "fail" = performance does not meet the standards because of substantial deficiencies.
TUM Informatics has set up some internal directions for the post examination review. These concern staff as well as students. It is to be seen as a recommendation, and exceptions can be made in well-founded individual cases.