Each TUM semester is divided in lecture period and lecture-free period. Exams of the Department of Informatics normally start around the end of the lecture period until the third week of the lecture-free period (incl. Saturdays!) at the latest. Retake exams (taken by students who fail the first time) are usually held at the beginning of the next semester, either in the last three weeks of the lecture-free period or in the first week of lectures. From the TUM semester dates (here), prospective exam periods of TUM Informatics can be derived.
Due to the large number of exams and rooms required, the general timeframes given above are subject to change. Please check the exact dates of the examinations for your individual courses. The examination dates are issued during the first few weeks of the course.
Please take a look at the information below to learn more about exam registration, deadlines, and withdrawal guidelines. Note: If you do not register for an exam via TUMonline, the credits will not count towards to your ECTS account.
- Registration for examination must be done via TUMonline.
- Note: You have to register for all exams, practical courses and seminars included. The only exeptions are practical courses and seminars with the following module numbers: IN0012, IN0014, IN2106, IN2107 as well as IN2128, IN2129, IN2131. Only for these you will be automatically registered.
- Registration for a course does NOT mean you are automatically registered for the respective examination.
- Separate, advance registration must be made via TUMonline EVERY time you take an examination (including retake exams). The only exception are mid-term exams. If you registered for a mid-term exam, then you will be automatically registered for the final exam.
- Taking an examination does not replace registration. If you do not register for an exam in TUMonline, the credits will not count towards to your degree program.
- Please pay attention to further information given by your lecturers and teaching staff. Additional on-site registration may be necessary for some examinations.
- Don't forget to check if your registration has been succesfull befor the end of the registration period. How you can find out to which examinations you are registrated please look at bulletpoint "How can I see the exams I am registered for?"
Dates of the Department of Informatics for examination registration in winter term 2021/22
Courses with midterm or early examination: Special registration dates!
- Midterm exam "Basic Principles: Operating Systems and System Software" (IN0009) on 13.12.2021 from 18:00 till 19:30
Registration: 15.11.2021 - 06.12.2021
- Midterm exam "Software Engineering in an Industrial Setting - Business Information Systems and their Impact on the Enterprise (IN2235) on 14.12.2021 von 18:00 - 19:15
Registration: 15.11.2021 - 07.12.2021
Students who choose to participate in the midterm exam do not have to register again for the respective endterm exam.
Examinations at the end of winter term 2021/22:
• Written examinations take place between 07.02.2022 - 05.03.2022
• The registration for these examinations is possible between 22.11.2021 - 15.01.2022
Examinations at the beginning of summer term 2022 (resits):
• Resits take place between 11.04.2022 - 30.04.2022
• The registration for these examinations is possible between 21.03.2022 - 04.04.2022
Dates for oral examinations are fixed by the respective lecturer.
Please keep these deadlines in mind and register in time. If you have problems with the registration, please refer to www.it.tum.de/en/it/tumonline/ or, afterwards contact directly per Email the contact person for your degree program. Please check whether registration has been successful.
After the deadline, no registration will be possible anymore! If you participate without registration, neither the ECTS credits, nor the grade will be added to your account and you will have to repeat the exam.
Department of Mechanical Engineering:
TUM School of Management:
Department of Mathematics:
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering:
All lecture and examination periods may differ in other departments!
Winter Semester 2021/22: 1st October 2021 – 31st March 2022
Lecture period: 18th October 2021 – 11th February 2022
Examinations at TUM Informatics: 7th February 2022 – 5th March 2022
Summer Semester 2022: 1st April 2022 – 30st September 2022
Lecture period: 25th April 2022 – 29th July 2022
Examinations at TUM Informatics: 25th July 2022 – 20th August 2022 (tbc)
Winter Semester 2022/23: 1st October 2022 – 31st March 2023
Lecture period: 17th Oktober 2022 – 10th February 2023 (tbc)
Examinations at TUM Informatics: 6th February 2023 – 4th March 2023 (tbc)
Summer Semester 2023: 1st April 2023 – 30th September 2023
Vorlesungszeit: 17th April 2023 – 15th Juli 2023 (tbc)
Prüfungszeitraum der TUM Informatik: 10th Juli 2023 – 5th August 2023 (tbc)
Winter Semester 2023/24: 1st Oktober 2023 – 31st März 2024
Vorlesungszeit: 16th Oktober 2023 – 09th Februar 2024 (tbc)
Prüfungszeitraum der TUM Informatik: 05th Februar 2024 – 02nd März 2024 (tbc)
Note: Due to the large number of exams and rooms required, the general timeframes given above are subject to change, there might be exceptions. Please check the exact dates of the examinations for your individual courses. The examination dates are issued during the first few weeks of the course.
1. Log in to the TUMonline portal
- You need a myTUM account to log in to the TUMonline portal. If you have forgotten your password or the answer to your security question, please contact TUM IT support.
- Log in with your myTUM ID (firstname.lastname@example.org) and myTUM password
- If your myTUM ID is rejected, please try your LRZ ID and your myTUM password. Your LRZ ID can be viewed at: portal.mytum.de > Login > Meine Einstellungen > Accountinformationen
- If log in fails with your LRZ ID, please try to reset your myTUM password within the myTUM portal.
- If you are still not able to log in, please contact TUM IT support.
2. Register for an examination in TUMonline
The registration system automatically marks all registrations as "provisional". You can ignore this, as there are no admission requirements for examinations in the Department of Informatics.
If your examinations do not appear in your curriculum tree, please use the "Prüfungs An-/Abmeldung" for registration (see information sheet). Please search for the module ID of the related course using the search field next to "Prüfung". If the examination cannot be found, please contact the Infopoint Informatik.
The examination registration for resits in TUMonline doesn´t work! What can I do? Step by step instruction as PDF
- Check if the exam you intend to repeat has already been graded, if not, be patient and try again after a few days. Only if the grades have been submitted and you have not passed, you can register for the repetition!
- If the exam has been graded and you failed, but you still can not register, refer to http://www.it.tum.de/en/tumonline/ or the TUMonline brochure.
- If you are still facing difficulties, contact the Infopoint Informatics before end of registration period.
There are different options to check if you are actually registered for an exam:
1) click "Exam Registration" in your personal business card (find some information about your personal business card here)
2) click "Student Files" in your personal business card, Tab "all exams"
3) click "Study Status / Curriculum" in your personal business card, choose the exam (green flag) and look for the check mark over the green "P" button
Attention: If you are registered for an exam not by yourself but by the staff of the TUM (e.g. registration for the IDP), the exam is not visible in the "Exam Registration" (option 1) - choose option 2 or 3
You have until the end of the registration period to withdraw your registration for an examination via TUMonline. This does not apply if you are obliged to retake an exam. Registration for written exams can be cancelled up to 7 days before the exam.
Be aware that a 5,0 will be shown in your Print Grade Report if you do not cancel in time.
If the examination regulations for your program allow for other withdrawals (e.g. early withdrawal), you can do this at the Infopoint Informatics.
If you have any problems registering for an examination, please contact the Infopoint Informatics immediately.
Withdrawals for Medical Reasons
The following degree programs do not restrict the number of times an examination can be repeated:
- Bachelor's in Informatics
- Bachelor's in Information Systems
- all master's degree programs lasting 4 semesters
Therefore, you need to provide medical evidence of your inability to sit an examination only in exceptional cases, e.g. if you envisage problems obtaining sufficient credit points during your program.
If you cannot sit an examination due to illness, you need to provide a medical certificate as soon as possible to prove you were unable to take the exam. You should keep this medical certificate safe until the end of your program as you may need to present it to the examination board.
If you are uncertain whether a medical certificate meets the regulations, please check with the appropriate administrative contact during their consultation hours.
See also the requirements for the medical certificate on the university page about withdrawing from examinations and the list of approved medical examiners.
1.0, 1.3: "very good" = excellent performance
1.7, 2.0, 2.3: "good" = performance well above average
2.7, 3.0, 3.3: "satisfactory" = average performance
3.7, 4.0: "sufficient" = performance meets the standards in spite of deficiencies
4.3, 4.7, 5.0: "fail" = performance does not meet the standards because of substantial deficiencies.
TUM Informatics has set up some internal directions for the post examination review. These concern staff as well as students. It is to be seen as a recommendation, and exceptions can be made in well-founded individual cases.